Saffron Walden: Waitrose customers donate 800kg of food to foodbank
- Credit: Archant
KIND hearted shoppers have donated over 800kg of food to a foodbank aimed at “fighting poverty locally”.
Waitrose Saffron Walden has been running a food collection point in store for three months, with contributions made by customers going towards Haverhill Foodbank.
Store manager Malcolm Domb and Jack Trotti, a partner on the Welcome desk at the supermarket, paid a visit to the foodbank to see how it all works and where the food goes. They were shown around the warehouse by manager Ann Merrigan and met some of the volunteers who weigh and sort the food ready for distribution.
Mrs Merrigan said: “Sadly, there are many families who are struggling to make ends meet, so to have this support is great.
“Waitrose have been amazing and we would like to thank them for welcoming us and allowing us to collect here, and of course the customers and staff who donate on a regular basis.”
The foodbank works in partnership with family support services such as children’s centres, health visitors and the Citizens Advice Bureau who identify the need and give clients a voucher to exchange for a box of food. Since its launch in 2008, it has helped hundreds of families during times of unexpected crisis such as redundancy, relationship breakdown, evictions, homelessness and benefit delays.
Haverhill Foodbank is open at Reach Resource Centre in Haverhill and opening times are: Monday to Thursday 2-5pm as well as Tuesday and Friday mornings from 10am to 1pm.
- 1 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 2 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 'No barbecues' urge firefighters amid dry weather in north-west Essex
- 5 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Driving ban and unpaid work for Stansted man who punched police officers
- 7 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 8 Walden Bikers break fundraising record at eighth birthday gathering
- 9 Set times for The Bootleg Beatles and From The Jam's Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 10 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
Visit reachhaverhill.org.uk for more details.