Saffron Walden woman taking on marathon started running on 50th birthday
- Credit: Archant
An accountant who started running after her 50th birthday is set to tackle the London Marathon to raise money for Cancer Research.
Ruth Wathen, from Saffron Walden, has already raised money for the charity with the Great North Run in 2014 and last year by running The Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon and The Milton Keynes Marathon.
So far her total is £1,790.
Now, Ruth, 55, who works for the veterinary practice, Mercer and Hughes, hopes to complete the London Marathon in less than four and a half hours and raise another £1,000.
She said: “Both my parents died of cancer and my sons (Matthew 29 and Jeremy 26) each have friends who have come through cancer. They have survived it and I don’t think they would have without all the research and the good treatment.”
Ruth was introduced to running by her partner Kevin.
She said: “He has been running most of his life, so he told me how to start. He said, don’t expect to find it manageable for at least six weeks. You have to start with manageable goals.
- 1 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 2 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 3 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 4 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 5 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 8 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 9 Former teaching assistant is jailed
- 10 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
“It’s not always pleasant but it does make you feel good at the end.”
She added: “The experience of finishing a marathon is wonderful. The biggest thing is the support from people. It really makes a difference when they cheer you on. I have family in London and they have said they will be there.
To help Ruth raise money for Cancer Research to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RuthWathen