Saffron Walden woman taking on marathon started running on 50th birthday
- Credit: Archant
An accountant who started running after her 50th birthday is set to tackle the London Marathon to raise money for Cancer Research.
Ruth Wathen, from Saffron Walden, has already raised money for the charity with the Great North Run in 2014 and last year by running The Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon and The Milton Keynes Marathon.
So far her total is £1,790.
Now, Ruth, 55, who works for the veterinary practice, Mercer and Hughes, hopes to complete the London Marathon in less than four and a half hours and raise another £1,000.
She said: “Both my parents died of cancer and my sons (Matthew 29 and Jeremy 26) each have friends who have come through cancer. They have survived it and I don’t think they would have without all the research and the good treatment.”
You may also want to watch:
Ruth was introduced to running by her partner Kevin.
She said: “He has been running most of his life, so he told me how to start. He said, don’t expect to find it manageable for at least six weeks. You have to start with manageable goals.
- 1 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 2 Saffron Walden Town through in FA Vase after dramatic ending
- 3 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 4 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 5 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 6 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 7 Remembrance parade will take place, says town council
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“It’s not always pleasant but it does make you feel good at the end.”
She added: “The experience of finishing a marathon is wonderful. The biggest thing is the support from people. It really makes a difference when they cheer you on. I have family in London and they have said they will be there.
To help Ruth raise money for Cancer Research to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/RuthWathen