Saffron Walden youngsters to hold outdoor fundraising Christmas bake sale and classical concert
10-year-old George Harliono and Ekatherina Rahr-Bohr, 11, will be organising a bake sale and classical concert in the town centre during the festive season to raise funds for the CLIC Sargent Charity, which is dedicated to helping children with cancer.
George will be playing the piano. An ex-student of St Thomas More School, he was awarded a scholarship last year to attend the prestigious Purcell School for gifted musicians and is currently competing in the BBC Young Musician of the Year Competition.
His friend Ekaterina attends St Thomas More and is currently preparing for her Grade 4 ABRSM violin exam. Last week she won first prize in the junior section of the 2011 Saffron Walden ‘Spirit of Christmas’ Carol Competition for a piece she wrote jointly with another Year 6 student from her school. The carol was then sung by the Saffron Walden Choral Society and broadcast on BBC Radio Cambridge.
They are taking the challenge to perform classical pieces and Christmas carols, from Beethoven to Howard Blake, outside in the cold weather.
They will play some solo pieces and some duets on piano and violin in the open air whilst offering the chance to buy some delicious home-baked cakes and cookies. They are aiming to raise as much money as possible for the CLIC Sargent charity.
The children are hoping that local people will enjoy listening to the music and buying some cakes so that they can raise money. There will be many cakes on sale, from Black Forest Gateau, lemon torte, cup cakes to chocolate chip cookies and also hot drinks.
Well-known singer/songwriter Joanna Eden is lending her keyboard to the children for the concert.
- 1 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 2 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
- 3 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 4 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Sue Gray report finds lockdown party behaviour was 'unacceptable'
- 7 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 8 'Cat bite could have killed me': Many operations for rescuer
- 9 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 10 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
The event will take place on Saturday December 17 from 3pm in front of 48 Gold Street, Saffron Walden.