Saffron Walden youngsters to hold outdoor fundraising Christmas bake sale and classical concert
10-year-old George Harliono and Ekatherina Rahr-Bohr, 11, will be organising a bake sale and classical concert in the town centre during the festive season to raise funds for the CLIC Sargent Charity, which is dedicated to helping children with cancer.
George will be playing the piano. An ex-student of St Thomas More School, he was awarded a scholarship last year to attend the prestigious Purcell School for gifted musicians and is currently competing in the BBC Young Musician of the Year Competition.
His friend Ekaterina attends St Thomas More and is currently preparing for her Grade 4 ABRSM violin exam. Last week she won first prize in the junior section of the 2011 Saffron Walden ‘Spirit of Christmas’ Carol Competition for a piece she wrote jointly with another Year 6 student from her school. The carol was then sung by the Saffron Walden Choral Society and broadcast on BBC Radio Cambridge.
They are taking the challenge to perform classical pieces and Christmas carols, from Beethoven to Howard Blake, outside in the cold weather.
They will play some solo pieces and some duets on piano and violin in the open air whilst offering the chance to buy some delicious home-baked cakes and cookies. They are aiming to raise as much money as possible for the CLIC Sargent charity.
You may also want to watch:
The children are hoping that local people will enjoy listening to the music and buying some cakes so that they can raise money. There will be many cakes on sale, from Black Forest Gateau, lemon torte, cup cakes to chocolate chip cookies and also hot drinks.
Well-known singer/songwriter Joanna Eden is lending her keyboard to the children for the concert.
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 3 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 4 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 5 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 6 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 7 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 8 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 9 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 10 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
The event will take place on Saturday December 17 from 3pm in front of 48 Gold Street, Saffron Walden.