Sale in Newport as tribute for Doreen
A CHARITY garage and garden sale is being held in Newport in memory of a popular former resident. Doreen Poole, who ran a successful Bed and Breakfast from the Toll House for six years, died in February of Motor Neurone Disease (MND), aged 65. Now her hus
A CHARITY garage and garden sale is being held in Newport in memory of a popular former resident.
Doreen Poole, who ran a successful Bed and Breakfast from the Toll House for six years, died in February of Motor Neurone Disease (MND), aged 65.
Now her husband, Laurie, and his daughter, Wendy Benge, are holding a sale to raise money for the progressive, life-limiting disease.
Laurie said: "We have a lot of stuff to sell off and we thought, 'why not raise money for something worthwhile while we're doing it?' There doesn't seem to be much in the way of charity shops for MND so we're holding this sale to hopefully get some funds together for it.
"The sale will mostly include good quality clothing and bric-a-brac, and people are welcome to drop by."
Doreen, who also had Ovarian Cancer, was diagnosed with MND in 2007, although that did not stop her from fulfilling her lifelong ambition of visiting the Taj Mahal in India.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 6 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 7 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Saffron Walden girls enjoy first festival outing
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
"We found a common interest in travelling and went to many places," said Laurie. "She said visiting the Taj Mahal was one of the most emotional moments of her life."
Doreen, who worked for Uttlesford District Council for 24 years, had many other hobbies including scuba diving, tennis, badminton, swimming and gardening.
She had two children from a previous marriage, Julian, 42 and Kilay, 40, and was a devoted grandmother to Matthew and Isla.
The garage and garden sale takes place at Toll House, Newport on August 8 and 9, starting at 9am each day.
- MND is a neurodegenerative disease that attacks the upper and lower motor neurones.
Degeneration of the motor neurones leads to weakness and wasting of muscles, causing increasing loss of mobility in the limbs, and difficulties with speech, swallowing and breathing.
About two people in every 100,000 are diagnosed with MND and the cause remains unknown.