Sam Smith to sing new Bond theme
- Credit: Archant
Singer Sam Smith, whose singing teacher, Joanna Eden is celebrated in Saffron Walden, will perform the theme song for the upcoming Bond movie Spectre.
The track is called Writing’s On the Wall.
In a series of tweets on Tuesday morning, Sam said on Twitter: “This is one of the highlights of my career. I am honoured to finally announce that I will be singing the next Bond theme song.”
His tweet was retweeted 4.1K times and marked as a favourite by 7.3K accounts.
He added: “I am so excited to be a part of this iconic British legacy and join an incredible line up of some of my biggest musical inspirations.”
His third tweet said: “I hope you all enjoy the song as much as I enjoyed making it.”
In his fourth tweet, which included a picture of him with the James Bond-style spotlight, said said: “You can pre-order ‘Writing’s On The Wall’ on CD or vinyl here po.st/5DWzQk, or on iTunes from midnight.”
- 1 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 2 District Council leader John Lodge to step down next week
- 3 Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 6 MP Kemi Badenoch launches 'Buy One More Toy Appeal' for Christmas support
- 7 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 8 Community helps with tree planting at Lime Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 9 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 10 How to get tickets for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022
The Brit award and Grammy winning singer, who goes by the Twitter handle @samsmithworld and whose biography states: “I sing for my supper”, has 3.47 million followers on the social network.
He revealed to Radio 1’s Nick Grimshaw that he co-wrote the song with Jimmy Napes who worked with him on the number one hit Stay With Me, and recorded the track in January. Joanna, who taught Sam from the age of nine, said: I’m so proud that Sam will be representing a Bond movie and that for future generations this song will represent the best of British pop music in 2015. Sam has the perfect voice for a Bond movie because like 007, he has great power but is also smooth and sophisticated.”Bond film Spectre, featuring Daniel Craig as Bond and directed by Sam Mendes, is due for release in the UK on October 26.