Save the Royal Mail post bus
PUBLISHED: 11:40 10 August 2006 | UPDATED: 09:47 31 May 2010
THIS week sees the start of a Reporter campaign to save the Royal Mail post bus service, which is due to be axed on August 25. The service is vital for many pensioners who live in Langley, Wicken Bonhunt, Clavering, Newport and Littlebury, as it allows th
THIS week sees the start of a Reporter campaign to save the Royal Mail post bus service, which is due to be axed on August 25.
The service is vital for many pensioners who live in Langley, Wicken Bonhunt, Clavering, Newport and Littlebury, as it allows them to get into Saffron Walden on a daily basis, and is free for Essex Travelpass holders.
But Royal Mail last week said the service would be axed in order to cut costs and allow them to concentrate on delivering mail.
The Reporter is calling on Royal Mail to reconsider its decision and allow the scheme to continue - with regular users of the post bus even saying they would be happy to pay if it meant the door-to-door service would not be dropped.
Pamela Pinner, 81, travels from Newport into Saffron Walden twice a week on the post bus, and she says she relies on it to maintain her independence.
"The service allows me to get out and about on my own, and I would really be lost without it," she said.
"I don't like having to rely on friends or family and the post bus means I can come into the town in order to get my shopping and go to the bank, and it means I can escape from the house for a few hours and meet friends.
"I can get on the post bus just by standing outside my house, which is wonderful at my age as I couldn't face having to walk more than a mile to the normal bus stop.
"Paying to use the post bus would be fine by me as I would be thrilled if the service could be saved."
Peter and Christine Johnson, of Wicken Bonhunt, depend on the post bus to do their shopping as Mr Johnson can no longer drive due to angina.
"It's wonderful to be able to rely on such a good service, which is both convenient and punctual," Mr Johnson said.
"We would be happy to pay to travel on the post bus, and we wouldn't even mind if the service was cut to three or four days a week, as that would still provide a real lifeline for many older and isolated people."
A Royal Mail spokesman has promised to listen to our readers concerns over the stoppage of the bus service.
"We would be happy to read any responses the Reporter's campaign may attract," he said.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.