Scaffolding tower near M11 motorway left in ‘dangerous position’ after thieves steal metal cables
POLICE are investigating and appealing for any witnesses after thieves stole metal cables from a scaffolding tower, close to the M11 motorway, leaving it in a dangerous position.
Twelve steel guywires were taken from scaffolding protecting pylon electricity cables crossing the M11 near to Ugley, just north of Stansted. The theft happened overnight on November 27.
Insp Mick Couldridge said: “It appears that only luck prevented the scaffolding rig from collapsing on the M11.
“Mobile security patrols have now been arranged and police officers will also be paying particular attention to this any other similar sites.”
The location is adjacent to North Hall Road, Ugley and police want to hear from anyone who was in the area on the evening of November 27 and remembers seeing anyone or any vehicles acting suspiciously in the area. They also want to hear from anyone who is offered metal cables, as described above.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should call the Uttlesford policing team on 101.
- 1 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 2 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 3 New Walden mayor announces his charities for the year
- 4 Old pirate ship climbing frame is removed for safety
- 5 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 8 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 9 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 10 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton