Scaffolding tower near M11 motorway left in ‘dangerous position’ after thieves steal metal cables
POLICE are investigating and appealing for any witnesses after thieves stole metal cables from a scaffolding tower, close to the M11 motorway, leaving it in a dangerous position.
Twelve steel guywires were taken from scaffolding protecting pylon electricity cables crossing the M11 near to Ugley, just north of Stansted. The theft happened overnight on November 27.
Insp Mick Couldridge said: “It appears that only luck prevented the scaffolding rig from collapsing on the M11.
“Mobile security patrols have now been arranged and police officers will also be paying particular attention to this any other similar sites.”
The location is adjacent to North Hall Road, Ugley and police want to hear from anyone who was in the area on the evening of November 27 and remembers seeing anyone or any vehicles acting suspiciously in the area. They also want to hear from anyone who is offered metal cables, as described above.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should call the Uttlesford policing team on 101.
- 1 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Villages around Saffron Walden covered in frost and snow
- 4 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 5 Auction stations - former telephone exchange is up for grabs
- 6 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Saffron Walden artist designs George Orwell book covers
- 9 Olly Murs looking forward to touring again
- 10 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students