Schools close: pupils sent home
TWO schools in the Reporter s area have closed today (Friday) because of heavy snowfall. Saffron Walden County High School (SWCHS) and Newport Free Grammar School both sent students home at 11am. Headteacher at SWCHS John Hartley said in a statement to pa
TWO schools in the Reporter's area have closed today (Friday) because of heavy snowfall.
Saffron Walden County High School (SWCHS) and Newport Free Grammar School both sent students home at 11am.
Headteacher at SWCHS John Hartley said in a statement to parents on the school's website: "Students who are confident they can get into their house and are not anxious about their safety will be allowed to walk home. Those who travel by bus will remain in the main hall until their bus arrives. Staff will of course be on hand to supervise.
"Any student who is uncertain what they should do or anxious about their safety has also been told to go to the main hall."
You may also want to watch:
The school was closed earlier this week on Monday and Tuesday because of the severe weather conditions. Mr Hartley said he had regretted the decision to close the school, but "the extremely heavy ice on the school site would have made it very dangerous for more than 2000 students and staff.
"It was also the case that many rural roads had not been gritted and were in a dangerous state.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 4 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 5 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 6 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 7 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 8 Reflections: A World War One soldier who was killed in battle
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival