Schools close: pupils sent home
TWO schools in the Reporter s area have closed today (Friday) because of heavy snowfall. Saffron Walden County High School (SWCHS) and Newport Free Grammar School both sent students home at 11am. Headteacher at SWCHS John Hartley said in a statement to pa
TWO schools in the Reporter's area have closed today (Friday) because of heavy snowfall.
Saffron Walden County High School (SWCHS) and Newport Free Grammar School both sent students home at 11am.
Headteacher at SWCHS John Hartley said in a statement to parents on the school's website: "Students who are confident they can get into their house and are not anxious about their safety will be allowed to walk home. Those who travel by bus will remain in the main hall until their bus arrives. Staff will of course be on hand to supervise.
"Any student who is uncertain what they should do or anxious about their safety has also been told to go to the main hall."
You may also want to watch:
The school was closed earlier this week on Monday and Tuesday because of the severe weather conditions. Mr Hartley said he had regretted the decision to close the school, but "the extremely heavy ice on the school site would have made it very dangerous for more than 2000 students and staff.
"It was also the case that many rural roads had not been gritted and were in a dangerous state.
- 1 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 24, 2021
- 2 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 3 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 4 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 5 Time to teach 'pandemic puppies' new tricks, charity says
- 6 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 7 When Covid-19 restrictions lift, will we ever shake hands again?
- 8 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 9 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 10 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ