Scrap yard back open for business after yesterday’s blaze
- Credit: Archant
A scrap yard which became engulfed by flames yesterday (Thursday) has already re-opened for business.
C & C Metal Trading manager Stuart Haslam confirmed the company is up and running – and has thanked the emergency services and community for their help and support.
The 37-year-old said: “I was driving up there [C & C] this morning and I didn’t know what to expect - yesterday I felt physically sick.
“But it wasn’t as bad as we had anticipated. We have all worked really hard and have tidied up, now the gate is back open.”
He added: “We can’t thank the emergency services enough and we have been inundated with messages of support from the community which has been quite touching. One gentleman came and dropped off three boxes of chocolates after hearing about what happened.
“Yesterday people from The Four Ashes pub came out and offered us cups of tea and the lady from the parish council said we could go into the community building. It has been fantastic.”
According to Mr Haslam, the blaze began when a car caught fire and the black smoke – which an onlooker said could be seen from Elsenham – was caused by burning tyres. A wooden shed next door also got caught up in the blaze.
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 5 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Essex drink driving figures revealed as police launch Christmas crackdown
- 9 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 10 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
Speaking at the scene yesterday, he told the Broadcast: “I was in the office and one of the boys called ‘fire’, we thought he was joking. The next thing we know, we are all trying to put the fire out.
“I called the fire brigade and waited for them - which felt like an eternity. The fire just escalated and we had to get everyone out and accounted for.”
Four crews, two from Dunmow, one from Stansted and another from Bishop’s Stortford, attended the scene, just before 4.30pm, and a 200-metre exclusion zone was put in place.
Two people were treated for minor injuries and the East of England Ambulance Service’s hazardous area response team was called to the scene.