Search is on for Great Dunmow’s next carnival queen and princesses
- Credit: Archant
THE search is on for Great Dunmow’s next carnival queen and princesses.
A selection evening will be held in the Dourdan Pavilion on Friday March 15 from 7pm and is open to girls who live in Dunmow and surrounding villages.
Those wishing to be carnival princesses should be aged nine to 14, while those entering the queen’s selection should be 14 or over.
The chosen girls will represent the town for a year and be given dresses and shoes to make them stand out at other carnivals across Essex.
They will also head this year’s Great Dunmow carnival on Saturday September 21, which will take on the theme of ‘Musicals’.
You may also want to watch:
Admission to the selection evening is free to entrants, while others will be charged £1 for adults and 50p for children which includes light refreshments.
To apply, call Keith Wheatcroft on 01371 875300 before March 9.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 4 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 7 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 9 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 10 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
? Meanwhile, a call has gone out for fresh faces on the Dunmow Carnival Procession committee amid concerns over a dwindling numbers of members.
Duties consist of monthly meetings preparing for the annual event held in September and preparations for its visits (about eight in total) to other carnivals around Essex between June and December.
Committee member Keith Wheatcroft said: “We would like to encourage a few more people to join us on the committee: can you help?
“It is hoped we will visit as many of these carnivals as we can [across Essex] to assist in preparing our float and accompanying it during the procession.”
If you would like to join the committee to help keep alive the long-running procession tradition at the Dunmow Carnival, call Mr Wheatcroft on 01371 875300.
• CLICK on the link above for pictures of the last Dunmow Carnival.