Second sexual assault within a fortnight in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
INVESTIGATIONS are underway into a sexual assault on a teenage girl in Saffron Walden – the second attack to happen in the town within a fortnight.
Police said the incident, in Peal Road on Sunday night between 7.30-8.30pm, was of a “sexual touching nature” and was reported to them on Tuesday.
Officers have been making door to door enquiries and high visibility patrols have been stepped up in the area.
The suspect is described as white, of stocky build and aged in his 20s. He was between 5ft 6ins and 5ft 8ins tall.
He was wearing dark trousers and a dark hooded top, with dark hair protruding out from beneath the hood.
You may also want to watch:
Police are refusing to rule out a link between the incident and another in which a 22-year-old woman was sexually assaulted on January 2.
The woman was walking alone along Debden Road towards the town centre when she heard footsteps behind her becoming quicker.
- 1 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 2 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 3 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 4 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 5 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 9 West Essex villages fear becoming 'trapped' by road closures
- 10 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir
She was then assaulted by a man who grabbed her inappropriately. The victim screamed and her attacker fled towards West Road.
The suspect was described as white, clean shaven, of medium build and about 5ft 9ins to 5ft 10ins tall. He was wearing a dark grey or black hooded jacket and his hood was up, obscuring the view of his face.
The man was also wearing a grey scarf and dark-coloured trousers and did not say anything during the attack.
A spokesman for Essex Police confirmed the two incidents were “being looked at alongside one another” but added that it was too early for them to be linked.
Anyone with information on the attacks is urged to contact Saffron Walden police on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.