Second Wenden Road Ride ’n’ Ramble in Saffron Walden this Sunday (October 20)
- Credit: Archant
Residents are expected to turn out in their droves for a second ride ‘n’ ramble in Saffron Walden this Sunday (October 20).
The Wenden Road Ride ‘n’ Ramble, which is open to all to take part in, runs from 11am to 2pm and is being organised by community group Access Walden.
The aim is highlight the need for a safer cycling and walking route between Saffron Walden and Audley End station.
Spokesman James Savage said: “Two years ago nearly 1,000 people – families, club riders, and commuters – took advantage of the temporary road closure to cycle and walk in safety along what is normally a dangerous route for all concerned. With cycling and walking growing in popularity we expect a large turnout for this event too.”
Last Autumn over 1,600 people attended a public exhibition of route options organised by Access Walden. The group claims 72 per cent backed the proposals for one-way traffic along Wenden Road, enabling a separate cycle and footpath to be created within the highway.
You may also want to watch:
It has also welcomed a recent vote by Saffron Walden Town Council to back further design work on a draft proposed by Essex County Council, but emphasised that safe separation of cyclists and pedestrians was a requirement in any route if it was to achieve its aim of encouraging many more people to cycle or walk between the town and station.
“Central government is pumping millions of pounds into cycle path projects, the Prime Minister has called for a ‘cycling revolution’ and councils are being urged to play their part in helping people get around safely on two wheels and two feet,” said Mr Savage.
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 5 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 6 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
“After a quarter of a century of procrastination, it’s time our local councils delivered for local people.”
• Details of the event can be found at accesswalden.com