Security guard threatened at gunpoint
A MASKED armed robber threatened a security guard with a handgun before stealing a money box with an undisclosed amount of cash from Barclays Bank in Stansted on Tuesday. The robbery happened at about 2.40pm, when a man wearing dark clothes and a balaclav
A MASKED armed robber threatened a security guard with a handgun before stealing a money box with an undisclosed amount of cash from Barclays Bank in Stansted on Tuesday.
The robbery happened at about 2.40pm, when a man wearing dark clothes and a balaclava entered the bank on Cambridge Road.
The security guard, a man in his 50s, was confronted at gunpoint and ordered to hand over the cash box that he was carrying.
He did as he was told and was not injured.
You may also want to watch:
Three members of staff and one customer in the bank witnessed the robbery, and described seeing the man get into a black 4x4 vehicle parked outside and driving off down the B1383 towards Saffron Walden.
A police spokesman said: "Shortly after the robbery, a black Volvo 4x4 was found in Dove Close, half a mile from the bank.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
"The inside of the car was covered in dye that is though to have come from the cash box."
It is not known how much cash was contained in the box or whether the box was found in the abandoned car.
Police are appealing for any witnesses who saw the robbery, the Volvo, or anybody with red dye on their clothes around the time of the incident, to call Braintree Police Station on 01376 551312.
They would particularly like to hear from anyone who witnessed a man exiting a Volvo XC90 and getting into a separate car.
A spokesman for Barclays was unavailable for comment at the time of going to print.