Serbian and Canadian swimming team arrive at Stansted ahead of London 2012 Olympic Games
STANSTED’S terminal was awash with Serbian and Canadian athletes ahead of the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Canada’s 33 strong Swimming Team flew in from their training base in Olbia, Italy, while 115 athletes from Serbia arrived, on a Jat Airways charter flight from Belgrade.
Canada has sent its largest swim team to a summer Games since Sydney 2000, which includes world silver medallist, Brent Hayden.
The team from Serbia included water polo and tennis players, men’s and women’s volleyball teams, handball team, swimmers, cyclists, judo fighters, rowers and table tennis players.
Welcoming both flights were a team of ‘Stansted Flyers’ who whisked the athletes through the arrivals process. Around 70 non-operational staff have volunteered and been trained to become ‘Stansted Flyers’.
You may also want to watch:
They are among the very first people athletes will see upon their arrival and they provide a valuable meet and greet service to all Games family members.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 4 Town council backs new support club
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire