Serbian and Canadian swimming team arrive at Stansted ahead of London 2012 Olympic Games
STANSTED’S terminal was awash with Serbian and Canadian athletes ahead of the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Canada’s 33 strong Swimming Team flew in from their training base in Olbia, Italy, while 115 athletes from Serbia arrived, on a Jat Airways charter flight from Belgrade.
Canada has sent its largest swim team to a summer Games since Sydney 2000, which includes world silver medallist, Brent Hayden.
The team from Serbia included water polo and tennis players, men’s and women’s volleyball teams, handball team, swimmers, cyclists, judo fighters, rowers and table tennis players.
Welcoming both flights were a team of ‘Stansted Flyers’ who whisked the athletes through the arrivals process. Around 70 non-operational staff have volunteered and been trained to become ‘Stansted Flyers’.
You may also want to watch:
They are among the very first people athletes will see upon their arrival and they provide a valuable meet and greet service to all Games family members.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 9 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 10 New on-call firefighters have joined stations