Serbian and Canadian swimming team arrive at Stansted ahead of London 2012 Olympic Games
STANSTED’S terminal was awash with Serbian and Canadian athletes ahead of the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Canada’s 33 strong Swimming Team flew in from their training base in Olbia, Italy, while 115 athletes from Serbia arrived, on a Jat Airways charter flight from Belgrade.
Canada has sent its largest swim team to a summer Games since Sydney 2000, which includes world silver medallist, Brent Hayden.
The team from Serbia included water polo and tennis players, men’s and women’s volleyball teams, handball team, swimmers, cyclists, judo fighters, rowers and table tennis players.
Welcoming both flights were a team of ‘Stansted Flyers’ who whisked the athletes through the arrivals process. Around 70 non-operational staff have volunteered and been trained to become ‘Stansted Flyers’.
You may also want to watch:
They are among the very first people athletes will see upon their arrival and they provide a valuable meet and greet service to all Games family members.
- 1 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 4 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 7 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 8 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 9 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 10 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'