Serbian and Canadian swimming team arrive at Stansted ahead of London 2012 Olympic Games
STANSTED’S terminal was awash with Serbian and Canadian athletes ahead of the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Canada’s 33 strong Swimming Team flew in from their training base in Olbia, Italy, while 115 athletes from Serbia arrived, on a Jat Airways charter flight from Belgrade.
Canada has sent its largest swim team to a summer Games since Sydney 2000, which includes world silver medallist, Brent Hayden.
The team from Serbia included water polo and tennis players, men’s and women’s volleyball teams, handball team, swimmers, cyclists, judo fighters, rowers and table tennis players.
Welcoming both flights were a team of ‘Stansted Flyers’ who whisked the athletes through the arrivals process. Around 70 non-operational staff have volunteered and been trained to become ‘Stansted Flyers’.
You may also want to watch:
They are among the very first people athletes will see upon their arrival and they provide a valuable meet and greet service to all Games family members.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show