Series of Essex Legacy Walks draws to a close
THE popular series of Essex Legacy Walks has drawn to a close in Uttlesford, with more than 35 walkers turning out for the final event in the south of the district.
Earlier this year, Uttlesford District Council teamed up with the Essex Legacy Team at the county council for the ‘Walking Your Way to the Games’ initiative.
The programme of five scenic walks started in March, with the idea of improving the fitness of those taking part and tied to increasing interest in next year’s Olympic Games. Participants received a colour-coded Essex Legacy badge for each walk they completed.
Walk leader Paul Goddard, the district council’s community outreach officer, said: “The final walk left the Dunmow Leisure Centre on a 16.5 mile circular walk around the surrounding countryside. Of the 37 walkers starting the walk, 35 managed to complete the 16.5 mile route.
“Essex Legacy Walks have inspired many participants to take up regular exercise as a direct result of this walking programme; in particular one participant called Claire who, when starting the first walk back in March thought three miles would be a challenge.
You may also want to watch:
“She has been regularly walking each week since March building up strength and stamina and successfully completed the 16.5 mile walk. Well done Claire!”
The Essex Legacy walks will be repeated in 2012 with a possible marathon walk as the last walk. Dates and time will be published in January. Contact Mr Goddard on 01799 510585 or e-mail email@example.com for further information.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 3 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 8 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call