Shops flood in Saffron Walden after fire causes water pipe to burst
PUBLISHED: 09:33 01 June 2015 | UPDATED: 09:14 02 June 2015
A number of shops in Saffron Walden were flooded over Saturday night after a fire broke out in a flat above.
The fire started in a first floor flat in Central Arcade, Saffron Walden, just off High Street, causing water pipes to burst and flooded the flat and the shops below.
Firefighters were called at 6.55am on Sunday (May 31) and pumped the water out of the properties.
Station officer Paul Curtis, from Saffron Walden fire station, said: “The crews from Saffron Walden were mobilised to the Central Arcade to reports of water pouring from a number of business premises affecting the electrics in three shops.
“On arrival crews found that a fire had occured overnight in a first floor flat above an arcade of shops. The fire in the flat had burnt through incoming water pipes, the water thankfully extinguished the fire, but because it went unnoticed for about six hours it badly affected a number of properties with flood water bringing down ceilings and causing widespread damage to stock.
“The environmental unit was called in to help pump away water and to assist with salvage operations. The clear-up took around three hours. The flat fire was caused by a faulty tumble dryer which again caused significant fire damage to a utility room above a fish and chip shop.”
He added: “Fire crews would like to thank the Mocha Cafe, in particular Gavin Slade, for opening up early in order to provide crews with a welcome tea and coffee round.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.