Singing marathon by Saffron Walden youth choir raises £450 for mayor’s charity
- Credit: Archant
A SEVEN-HOUR singing marathon by a Saffron Walden youth choir has helped raise more than £450 in support of disabled children.
SignuptoSing, made up of youngsters aged 8-18 from the surrounding area, performed in the town hall last month – with special guest Cllr Keith Eden, the mayor of Saffron Walden, in attendance.
Money raised was donated to the mayor’s chosen charity for his year in office, Saffron Walden Opportunity Playgroup.
The playgroup, which meets every Wednesday morning in term time at the United Reformed Church Hall in Abbey Lane, is for children up to the age of five with special needs, their parents or carers and under school age siblings.
Cllr Eden said it had been a “fantastic event”.
“It was a wonderful evening and an incredible display of singing stamina! To see kids raising money for other young kids was magical and I hope SignuptoSing will put on a similar performance in the near future,” he told the Reporter.
Choir administrator Steph Green thanked everyone who made the event a success.
- 1 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache
- 4 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 5 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 6 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 7 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 8 In pictures: the cute animals in January's Pets' Corner
- 9 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Large Visitor Attraction of the Year finalists
- 10 Penalty heartbreak for Saffron Walden as FA Vase dreams come to an end
She said: “This was a real community event but it could not have been done without the help of members of the Saffron Walden Choral Society, parents of children who sing in the SignuptoSing youth choir and the Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company.”