Sir Alan Haselhurst misses out on House of Commons Speaker job
THERE was no double celebration for Sir Alan Haselhurst who turned 72 this week after missing out on the Speaker s job on Monday. The MP for Saffron Walden, who celebrated his birthday on Tuesday, was one of 10 candidates up for the role left by Michael M
THERE was no double celebration for Sir Alan Haselhurst who turned 72 this week after missing out on the Speaker's job on Monday.
The MP for Saffron Walden, who celebrated his birthday on Tuesday, was one of 10 candidates up for the role left by Michael Martin who quit in the wake of the expenses scandal.
Presenting his case to fellow MPs, Sir Alan said: "I offer experience to the House. We are in for a period of change and I welcome that, but I do think in those circumstances that an experienced hand on the tiller will be beneficial to this Parliament and the next."
Sir Alan said he was "disappointed" not to get the job as Speaker, but indicated that he wished to continue in his role as Deputy Speaker if the house wished it.
You may also want to watch:
Sir Alan made it through to the second round of voting with 57 votes before opting to drop out.
In the final round Conservative John Bercow defeated Sir George Young to become the House of Commons' 157th Speaker.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 3 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 4 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 5 Town council backs new support club
- 6 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 7 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 8 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 9 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 10 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
"It was going to be a time for change anyway, and in a sense the election of the Speaker doesn't make a huge difference," said Sir Alan.
"Broadly speaking it's the case that MPs' expenses will be published from now on.