Sir Alan in fight for town's post office
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst is fighting to have one of the town s Post Office services reopened. Following the closure of the service at Rowntree Way and the resignation of the sub-postmaster at Audley End, people s access to a Post Office has b
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst is fighting to have one of the town's Post Office services reopened.
Following the closure of the service at Rowntree Way and the resignation of the sub-postmaster at Audley End, people's access to a Post Office has been restricted.
Sir Alan said: "Of course I would have preferred both offices to stay open. The management of the Post Office just don't seem to understand the difficulty many people have in accessing the main office in the High Street.
"But now we have the worst of all worlds with neither branch open. I am told that the closure of Audley End Post Office is temporary. I am urging the Post Office to get it open again soon. Christmas is coming."
You may also want to watch:
The only Post Office available to people in Saffron Walden is the town centre branch, with the other alternative being to travel to Newport.
Under the circumstances Sir Alan has suggested that a counter service at Rowntree Way is reopened as it was convenient for many people in the town and parking is easier. The suggestion has so far been turned down by Post Office Ltd.
- 1 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 4 Villages around Saffron Walden covered in frost and snow
- 5 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 6 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 7 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Dozens of illegal fishing nets and traps seized during pandemic
- 10 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students