Sir Alan in fight for town's post office
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst is fighting to have one of the town s Post Office services reopened. Following the closure of the service at Rowntree Way and the resignation of the sub-postmaster at Audley End, people s access to a Post Office has b
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst is fighting to have one of the town's Post Office services reopened.
Following the closure of the service at Rowntree Way and the resignation of the sub-postmaster at Audley End, people's access to a Post Office has been restricted.
Sir Alan said: "Of course I would have preferred both offices to stay open. The management of the Post Office just don't seem to understand the difficulty many people have in accessing the main office in the High Street.
"But now we have the worst of all worlds with neither branch open. I am told that the closure of Audley End Post Office is temporary. I am urging the Post Office to get it open again soon. Christmas is coming."
The only Post Office available to people in Saffron Walden is the town centre branch, with the other alternative being to travel to Newport.
Under the circumstances Sir Alan has suggested that a counter service at Rowntree Way is reopened as it was convenient for many people in the town and parking is easier. The suggestion has so far been turned down by Post Office Ltd.
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 In pictures: The inaugural Santa Dash around Saffron Walden
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 5 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 8 Walking Football launches in Walden
- 9 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 10 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'