Skate jam at Saffron Walden's One Minet Park pulls in the crowds
SKATEBOARDERS flocked to Saffron Walden s skatepark on Sunday to show off their skills on the ramps and learn some new tricks. Hundreds of riders brought their boards, bikes and scooters to the first-ever One Minet Park Jam at the skatepark next to the Lo
SKATEBOARDERS flocked to Saffron Walden's skatepark on Sunday to show off their skills on the ramps and learn some new tricks.
Hundreds of riders brought their boards, bikes and scooters to the first-ever One Minet Park Jam at the skatepark next to the Lord Butler Leisure Centre on Peaslands Road.
Free skate tuition was available from LCB Skate School instructors on the park's new beginner section throughout the day.
Malcolm Moy took his children, nine-year-old Freddie and six-year-old Jonathan, to the event. He said: "They had a fantastic time and the instructors spent a lot of time with all of the beginners.
You may also want to watch:
"There was a really friendly atmosphere with families having picnics on the grass and enjoying watching the skating."
The instructors provided safety equipment and boards and gave advice to youngsters about how to break the skate scene and enjoy the sport safely.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Town council backs new support club
- 4 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 7 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
A barbeque was on hand to keep everyone refreshed and DJs provided the soundtrack to the afternoon.
Secretary of the Skate Group, Jane Clark, said: "It was a wonderful community event and we had many people who had never tried skating before come and give it a go. The weather was fantastic and everyone who wanted a lesson got one."
A spokesman from LCB said: "Thanks to the separate beginners' park at One Minet, riders can now have the confidence to skate without fear of crossing the more experienced path but with the added bonus of gaining inspiration and motivation by being right in the thick of a buzzing park."
For more pictures visit www.saffronwaldenreporter24.co.uk. Send your skating pictures to email@example.com.