Skate jam at Saffron Walden's One Minet Park pulls in the crowds
SKATEBOARDERS flocked to Saffron Walden s skatepark on Sunday to show off their skills on the ramps and learn some new tricks. Hundreds of riders brought their boards, bikes and scooters to the first-ever One Minet Park Jam at the skatepark next to the Lo
SKATEBOARDERS flocked to Saffron Walden's skatepark on Sunday to show off their skills on the ramps and learn some new tricks.
Hundreds of riders brought their boards, bikes and scooters to the first-ever One Minet Park Jam at the skatepark next to the Lord Butler Leisure Centre on Peaslands Road.
Free skate tuition was available from LCB Skate School instructors on the park's new beginner section throughout the day.
Malcolm Moy took his children, nine-year-old Freddie and six-year-old Jonathan, to the event. He said: "They had a fantastic time and the instructors spent a lot of time with all of the beginners.
"There was a really friendly atmosphere with families having picnics on the grass and enjoying watching the skating."
The instructors provided safety equipment and boards and gave advice to youngsters about how to break the skate scene and enjoy the sport safely.
- 1 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 2 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 3 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 4 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 5 School activities and sports in pictures
- 6 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 7 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 8 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 9 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
A barbeque was on hand to keep everyone refreshed and DJs provided the soundtrack to the afternoon.
Secretary of the Skate Group, Jane Clark, said: "It was a wonderful community event and we had many people who had never tried skating before come and give it a go. The weather was fantastic and everyone who wanted a lesson got one."
A spokesman from LCB said: "Thanks to the separate beginners' park at One Minet, riders can now have the confidence to skate without fear of crossing the more experienced path but with the added bonus of gaining inspiration and motivation by being right in the thick of a buzzing park."
For more pictures visit www.saffronwaldenreporter24.co.uk. Send your skating pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.