Skate news for youngsters!
A NEW mini-park aimed at helping young and beginner skaters to develop their skills safely has been completed. The mini-park sits alongside the main One Minet Skatepark behind the Lord Butler Leisure Centre on Peaslands Road, Saffron Walden. Secretary of
A NEW mini-park aimed at helping young and beginner skaters to develop their skills safely has been completed.
The mini-park sits alongside the main One Minet Skatepark behind the Lord Butler Leisure Centre on Peaslands Road, Saffron Walden.
Secretary of the Skate Group, Jane Clarke, said: "This is the first concrete mini-park ever built and the construction was undertaken by Maverick Skatepark Builders.
"The design replicates the obstacles of the main skatepark but on a smaller scale and thus the younger children can graduate naturally on to the main park once they have found their feet and feel confident."
The project was funded by Viridor Credits Environmental Company, the Essex County Council Children's Fund, the Youth Opportunity Fund and the National Lottery's Awards for All.
The funds also paid for the construction of a path suitable for disabled access, new benches, bins and additional landscaping.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 3 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 5 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Saffron Walden U13 Girls celebrate 3-0 victory
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 10 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
"The new benches will greatly benefit not only the parents and youngsters but the wider community who come to watch the fun," said Ms Clarke.
Children under 8 years old who want to use the mini-park must be accompanied by an adult and helmets must be worn; these can be obtained from the Skate Group at cost price, details are on the notice board at the skatepark.