‘Nasty materials’ go up in flames during skip fire
PUBLISHED: 10:56 20 September 2019
Firefighters pumped thousands of litres of water into a pair of skips to extinguish a blaze in Wimbish.
A crew from Saffron Walden were called to a property in Elder Street at about 5.45pm on September 15 amid reports of a fire affecting two skips.
A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: "On arrival the crew found two skips well alight containing various nasty materials such as car batteries, insulation panels and polystyrene.
"Crews used a hose reel jet for an initial attack followed by a 45mm hose to flood the skips. In all, 3,600 litres of water was used supplied by a pump relay from a hydrant located at the entrance to the property."
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.