Slideshow: Morris dancing fever hits Thaxted
THOUSANDS of people lined the streets of Thaxted to enjoy a spectacular festival of traditional dancing. More than 400 morris dancers took part in the 75th anniversary Morris Ring Meeting which was held in the Essex village on the weekend. Squire of Thaxt
THOUSANDS of people lined the streets of Thaxted to enjoy a spectacular festival of traditional dancing.
More than 400 morris dancers took part in the 75th anniversary Morris Ring Meeting which was held in the Essex village on the weekend.
Squire of Thaxted Morris Men Paul Reece said: "It was an absolutely breathtaking event with more dancers and larger crowds than we have ever had before.
"With 36 sides all performing a show dance it looked like a sea of dancing in Thaxted. This was a fabulous opportunity to promote this country's traditional dances."
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday morning the morris sides toured the surrounding towns and villages within a 15-mile radius of Thaxted taking in Duxford, Saffron Walden and Hatfield Broad Oak.
In the afternoon there was a march through the village in which all the sides performed a dance known as the Winster Procession and in the evening the Thaxted Morris Men performed the Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance.
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 3 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 6 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 7 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 8 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 9 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 10 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre