Slideshow: Morris dancing fever hits Thaxted
THOUSANDS of people lined the streets of Thaxted to enjoy a spectacular festival of traditional dancing. More than 400 morris dancers took part in the 75th anniversary Morris Ring Meeting which was held in the Essex village on the weekend. Squire of Thaxt
THOUSANDS of people lined the streets of Thaxted to enjoy a spectacular festival of traditional dancing.
More than 400 morris dancers took part in the 75th anniversary Morris Ring Meeting which was held in the Essex village on the weekend.
Squire of Thaxted Morris Men Paul Reece said: "It was an absolutely breathtaking event with more dancers and larger crowds than we have ever had before.
"With 36 sides all performing a show dance it looked like a sea of dancing in Thaxted. This was a fabulous opportunity to promote this country's traditional dances."
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday morning the morris sides toured the surrounding towns and villages within a 15-mile radius of Thaxted taking in Duxford, Saffron Walden and Hatfield Broad Oak.
In the afternoon there was a march through the village in which all the sides performed a dance known as the Winster Procession and in the evening the Thaxted Morris Men performed the Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance.
- 1 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 2 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 5 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Revealed: Essex hospital treatment waiting time data
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
- 10 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months