Slideshow: Police renew appeal for motorists to drive carefully as snow continues to fall
HEAVY snowfall and freezing conditions caused severe problems on the roads this morning (Friday February 6). Motorists travelling around Saffron Walden were struggling to drive up gentle gradients with the amount of slush on the roads. A van stuck in the
HEAVY snowfall and freezing conditions caused severe problems on the roads this morning (Friday February 6).
Motorists travelling around Saffron Walden were struggling to drive up gentle gradients with the amount of slush on the roads.
A van stuck in the snow on Windmill Hill caused tailbacks of cars trying to leave the town and near to the Lord Butler Leisure Centre a vehicle skidded into a parked Volkswagen Golf.
Heavy traffic has been reported on the M11 after a car hit the back of a lorry near Junction 10 at 8am.
Essex Police have renewed their appeal to motorists to drive carefully in the icy conditions. Motorists should dress warmly and take extra provisions.
Neil Storey, from the East of England Ambulance service said: "The East of England Ambulance Service would like to reassure people that a normal 999 service is in operation, and we have a number of 4x4 vehicles on standby across the region to assist as needed. However, we would ask people to help by only dialling 999 if absolutely necessary.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Elbow's Heritage Live headline concert at Audley End House and Gardens
- 3 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 5 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 9 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 10 Benkenstein bags six of the best as Essex Eagles thrash Glamorgan
"If you need advice but don't have a serious or life threatening emergency, remember other options are available to you such as calling NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 or contacting your local GP or pharmacist.
"We would advise people to only undertake essential journeys, and if they must travel to carry with them appropriate supplies, such as warm blankets, food and drink.