Solicitor hits Mount Kilimanjaro summit for Essex respite charity
A SOLICITOR swapped his desk for the dizzy heights of Mount Kilamanjaro to raise cash for charity which looks after the families of people with learning disabilities.
Mark Carter raised over �3000 for Rescu – and achieved a lifetime ambition of scaling Africa’s highest mountain.
Starting out at 5500ft, he and a troop of lik-eminded adventurers climbed an average of 2500ft a day over seven hours to reach the near-20,000 ft summit.
“It was a truly fantastic experience,” said Mr Carter, who works for Bishop’s Stortford-based solicitors Stanley Tee LLP .
“The climb took six days and five nights camping. The last two nights temperatures dropped below freezing.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Carter’s �3000 raised has been given to Rescu, a charity which helps families in the area who have to care for family members with learning disabilities.
The charity is currently in the process of raising �1m for a new centre in Thaxted which, when completed, will give the opportunity for people with learning disabilities to stay in a residential environment away from home for short periods of time. This will offer them the chance to develop independence and allow their families and carers to have a break themselves.
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 4 Stations benefit from funding
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 9 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 10 Surgeon wins top award for hip research
Mr Carter added: “Rescu is a very deserving charity and I would like to thank everyone who generously sponsored and supported me.”
If you would like to support Rescu with a fundraising activity of your own contact Debbie Stephen on 07775 648003 or to make a donation visit thebiggive.org.uk/pledge/rescu
Rescu hope to raise �10,000 by the end of October to enable them to double your donations.