Solicitor hits Mount Kilimanjaro summit for Essex respite charity
A SOLICITOR swapped his desk for the dizzy heights of Mount Kilamanjaro to raise cash for charity which looks after the families of people with learning disabilities.
Mark Carter raised over �3000 for Rescu – and achieved a lifetime ambition of scaling Africa’s highest mountain.
Starting out at 5500ft, he and a troop of lik-eminded adventurers climbed an average of 2500ft a day over seven hours to reach the near-20,000 ft summit.
“It was a truly fantastic experience,” said Mr Carter, who works for Bishop’s Stortford-based solicitors Stanley Tee LLP .
“The climb took six days and five nights camping. The last two nights temperatures dropped below freezing.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Carter’s �3000 raised has been given to Rescu, a charity which helps families in the area who have to care for family members with learning disabilities.
The charity is currently in the process of raising �1m for a new centre in Thaxted which, when completed, will give the opportunity for people with learning disabilities to stay in a residential environment away from home for short periods of time. This will offer them the chance to develop independence and allow their families and carers to have a break themselves.
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
- 9 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
- 10 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
Mr Carter added: “Rescu is a very deserving charity and I would like to thank everyone who generously sponsored and supported me.”
If you would like to support Rescu with a fundraising activity of your own contact Debbie Stephen on 07775 648003 or to make a donation visit thebiggive.org.uk/pledge/rescu
Rescu hope to raise �10,000 by the end of October to enable them to double your donations.