South Cambs house catches fire after cigarette sets ivy alight

PUBLISHED: 17:49 02 June 2015 | UPDATED: 17:49 02 June 2015

Fire at Great Chishill home. Picture: Cambs Fire Service.

Fire at Great Chishill home. Picture: Cambs Fire Service.

Archant

A house caught alight after a cigarette set ivy on fire in a south Cambridgeshire village this morning (Tuesday).

Fire at Great Chishill home. Picture: Cambs Fire Service.Fire at Great Chishill home. Picture: Cambs Fire Service.

Firefighters from Saffron Walden, Royston, Cambridge, Cottenham and Huntingdon, were called to Barley Road, Great Chishill, at 2.46am.

They arrived to find the roof of the house alight.

A man in his 60s was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation, but didn’t require hospital treatment.

Station commander Wayne Swales, the officer in charge at the scene, said: “The crews did a fantastic job containing the fire to the roof space and stopping the fire spreading to other parts of the property.

“The fire was started by a carelessly discarded cigarette that set alight some ivy at the side of the property. If you do smoke you should dispose of any smoking materials in a metal container and ensure they are fully extinguished.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter