South Cambs house catches fire after cigarette sets ivy alight
- Credit: Archant
A house caught alight after a cigarette set ivy on fire in a south Cambridgeshire village this morning (Tuesday).
Firefighters from Saffron Walden, Royston, Cambridge, Cottenham and Huntingdon, were called to Barley Road, Great Chishill, at 2.46am.
They arrived to find the roof of the house alight.
A man in his 60s was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation, but didn’t require hospital treatment.
Station commander Wayne Swales, the officer in charge at the scene, said: “The crews did a fantastic job containing the fire to the roof space and stopping the fire spreading to other parts of the property.
“The fire was started by a carelessly discarded cigarette that set alight some ivy at the side of the property. If you do smoke you should dispose of any smoking materials in a metal container and ensure they are fully extinguished.”
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 5 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 8 Essex drink driving figures revealed as police launch Christmas crackdown
- 9 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
- 10 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes