Special days this February with the National Trust
FEBRUARY is fast approaching and there is plenty to see and do if you take the time to visit a National Trust location during the coming weeks.
Listed below is a selection of events. From hedge laying competitions and bird box building to healthy walks and blacksmith courses, there is something for everyone.
Wimpole Estate in Cambridgeshire:
- Hedge laying competition – Saturday February 5, 9am to 2pm, Cobbs Wood Farm
The local hedge layers will be competing to be the champion at Wimpole.
You may also want to watch:
- Basic beginner’s blacksmith course
Saturday February 19, 10am to 4pm
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 8 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 9 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
An introduction to blacksmithing in Wimpole’s own blacksmith shop where you will learn the basic techniques of this old craft and take home the object you make. Booking essential 01223 206000, limited places, �95 each, including simple lunch.
- Textile Tuesdays
Tuesday February 22, 11.30am to 1.30pm
Discover how we clean and care for the textiles in the collection with the housekeeping team, drop in between 11.30am and 1.30pm.
Normal hall admission applies.
Hatfield Forest, Essex
- Healthy walks
Thursday February 3, 10, 17 and 24, 9.45am
A variety of intermediate health walks through this ancient medieval forest. Please note this is a muddy site with roaming cattle. Well behaved dogs are welcome. Free, car parking charge applies. No booking required.
- Walk: Winter Tree ID
Saturday February 5, 2pm- 4pm
Discover the fascinating trees to be found at Hatfield Forest and learn valuable winter identification techniques. Meet at the Shell House Car Park. Suitable for ages 12 plus. �6, car park charge applies. Booking essential on 01279 870678.
- Bird box building
Sunday February 20, 11am - 4pm
Bring along the whole family and build a nest box to take home, to attract birds to nest in your garden. Full instructions given – Not only for DIY enthusiasts! Suitable for accompanied children. �6 per box, car park charge applies. Booking essential on 01279 870678.
- Whatever the Weather
Monday to Friday February 21 – 25, drop in between 11am - 3pm
Enjoy the sunshine or jump in the puddles, activities happening all week whatever the weather. Both indoor and outdoor trails, games and crafts happening everyday. 50p for each craft, car park charge applies, no need to book.
- Conservation in Action Walk
Monday to Friday February 21 – 25, 2pm
Free guided walk to take a closer look at the conservation work we do and what makes Hatfield Forest such a unique place. Car parking charge applies. No booking required.
- Introduction to Forest Survival
Friday February 25, 10.30am - 3.30pm
Learn the basics for surviving in the wild with only the bare necessities. An introduction to shelter building, fire lighting and foraging. Bring a hearty packed lunch! Suitable for accompanied children, aged 8 years+ Group of two, �18, three, �26, four, �34. Additional person �10. Car park charge applies. Booking essential on 01279 870678.