Spring aerial spectacular
AN AIR show featuring the best of British aircraft, both vintage and modern, in an aerial spectacle will take place next Sunday (May 17) Imperial War Museum (IWM) Duxford will launch its new air-show season with the Spring Air Show. Nearly 20 famous Briti
AN AIR show featuring the best of British aircraft, both vintage and modern, in an aerial spectacle will take place next Sunday (May 17)
Imperial War Museum (IWM) Duxford will launch its new air-show season with the Spring Air Show.
Nearly 20 famous British aircraft manufacturers will be represented, including Avro, de Havilland, Eurofighter, Hawker-Siddeley, Supermarine, Vickers and Westland.
Highlights of the show include participation by the Eurofighter Typhoon and the stunning Battle of Britain Memorial Flight featuring the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane.
You may also want to watch:
Celebrated British pilot Guy Westgate, eight times national glider aerobatic champion, will be demonstrating his aerobatic skills and Dennis Kenyon, former world helicopter freestyle champion, will be flying an Enstrom helicopter.
All three British Red Bull Air Race pilots will be displaying their skills.
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
Visitors to the Spring Air Show will also be able to see the Percival Mew Gull in action. This legendary aircraft was flown by the outstanding pilot, Alex Henshaw, to win the King's Cup Air Race, the most prestigious air race of the period, in 1938. One of the youngest ever pilots to win the race, he also broke the record for a flight to Cape Town and back.
On the ground, there will be activities for all ages, including funfair rides, bungee trampolines, tank rides, and new for 2009, paint balling.
There will be about ninety trade stands selling a wide range of products, from aircraft-related books, prints and paintings, to gifts and clothing.
Celebrating the Best of British aviation, past and present, with a stunning display of
aircraft, Duxford's Spring Air Show will make a spectacular start to the season.
Flying participation is subject to weather, serviceability and operational commitments.
Ticket prices range from �8.50 for a child to �22.45 for an adult. Discounts are available for students, senior citizens and some group bookings.
For full ticket prices and booking details go to www.iwm.org.uk/duxford or call
01223 835 000.