Spurs’ legends wing into action for charity golf event
- Credit: Archant
TOTTENHAM FC ‘legends’ will be swinging into action next week at a charity golf day to raise the funds an Elsenham businessman needs to complete his dream of opening a holiday complex for children with special needs.
Andy Mahoney, who runs taxi firm 24x7 from Stansted Airport, set up charity ‘24x7 Special Needs Holiday Trust’ three years ago after learning there was no specialist holiday resort for disabled children.
“It all started when a mother-of-one of the special needs children I drive to school asked me if I could help her find somewhere they could go on holiday that would cater for her son’s needs. It soon came apparent there was no such place,” said Mr Mahoney.
Two-and-a-half years ago, he bought a rundown holiday complex in Moncarapacho on the Algarve, Portugal. Since then he and a dedicated group of volunteers have been renovating the place.
Each step of the complex’s refurbishment has been posted on the charity’s website, centrealgarve.org
You may also want to watch:
Mr Mahoney said: “The idea of this project is to create Europe’s first holiday centre dedicated to individuals with special needs along with their parents or carers. This will make an unbelievable difference to their lives.”
The original estimates for renovating the property were about £1.2million but thanks to the volunteers, he has saved £800,000 in labour costs. The first guests will be arriving in October.
- 1 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 2 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 3 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 4 New Walden mayor announces his charities for the year
- 5 Old pirate ship climbing frame is removed for safety
- 6 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 7 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 8 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 9 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
Among the Spurs stars scheduled to be playing at the golf day will be those who played for the club in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.
The event is taking place at the Hertfordshire Golf and Country Club, in Broxbourne, on June 6.
Tickets cost £260 for a team of three, who will be allocated a Spurs legend as their fourth member.
Prizes up for grabs include a Skoda Yeti for a hole-in-one at the 18th.
After the game, there will be a three-course dinner followed by prizegiving and a charity auction, including signed Spurs and Manchester United shirts.
Tickets are available by calling 07810 264455, Leisure Link Golf Holidays on 01708 339300 or you can also e-mail reservations@