SSE protestors stepping out
STOP Stansted Expansion (SSE) is holding a heritage hike on Sunday September 20 to highlight the potential threat to historic homes, countryside and the community from a second runway at Stansted Airport. A four-mile circular walk has been organised by
STOP Stansted Expansion (SSE) is holding a 'heritage hike' on Sunday September 20 to highlight the potential threat to historic homes, countryside and the community from a second runway at Stansted Airport.
A four-mile circular walk has been organised by SSE's footpaths expert Stuart Walker in conjunction with Douglas Kent, technical adviser to the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Hikers will set off at 2pm after a commemorative photo from Molehill Green. Route maps and descriptions of historical sites will be provided to those taking part and a sizzling barbecue will be held from 1pm to 5pm for departing and returning ramblers.
SSE's campaign director, Carol Barbone, said: "This is our eighth annual ramble and the emphasis on heritage this year is designed to remind people about the lasting impacts on communities in this area if the runway were ever to be constructed."
You may also want to watch:
The event is free but those who want to seek sponsorship or make donations at the event can do so.
More information on the Heritage Hike and a sponsorship form are available at www.stopstanstedexpansion.com or by calling 01279 870558.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 4 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 5 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 8 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 9 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending