Stansted Airport: cargo transport is on the rise
CARGO shifted through Stansted Airport last month at almost five times the rate in October last year, new figures reveal.Airport owner BAA said its cargo operation enjoyed its fourth month-on-month increase in a row as more than 15,000 tonnes of goods we
CARGO shifted through Stansted Airport last month at almost five times the rate in October last year, new figures reveal.
Airport owner BAA said its cargo operation enjoyed its fourth month-on-month increase in a row as more than 15,000 tonnes of goods were transported through Stansted last month - a 14.2 per cent increase on last January.
"This upturn in cargo through Stansted is encouraging news, reflecting an increase in trade and economic activity," said commercial and development director Nick Barton.
"Passenger numbers are also beginning to stabilise with rates of decline significantly down on 2009, and we remain hopeful that this area of our business will also see a return to growth towards the end of 2010."
You may also want to watch:
Stansted is the second largest London airport for cargo operations into and out of the UK
"Around 180,000 tonnes of cargo are shipped through our world-class facilities at Stansted each year. Fed-Ex has their largest UK hub here and the airport is also home to BA's World Cargo operation," said Mr Barton.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 5 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 6 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 7 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 10 Stop Stansted Expansion campaign group to rebrand
"With AirAsia X carrying goods on direct flights to Kuala Lumpur and beyond and other passenger airlines transporting items daily across their route networks, its not just freight operators linking Stansted onto the vast cargo networks around the globe.