Stansted Airport changes the name of its runway
THE operators of Stansted Airport have been forced to change the name of their existing runway due to the fact that the Earth has moved.Small changes in the position of the globes magnetic field has meant the Essex airport s runway, previously known as 2
THE operators of Stansted Airport have been forced to change the name of their existing runway due to the fact that the Earth has moved.
Small changes in the position of the globes magnetic field has meant the Essex airport's runway, previously known as 23/05 because of its location and compass heading, has become 22/04.
Trevor Waldock, the airport's head of airside operations, said: "We have had to make this change due to the Magnetic North Pole slowly drifting across the Earth's surface, but our runway remains in a fixed position. It'll roughly be another 56 years before we have to consider changing it again."
The project, which took place at night, was completed last weekend and included the replacement of all airfield signage and the repainting of the huge numbers at each end of the runway. The renumbering is in name alone and will not have any impact on flight paths.
You may also want to watch:
The Magnetic Pole will continue to drift until it eventually switches with the Magnetic South Pole. The Earth last went through this an estimated 780,000 years ago. With time, due to the Magnetic North Pole moving south, the Northern lights will become visible to the UK.
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 4 Town council backs new support club
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 9 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 10 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list