Stansted Airport heart attack victim saved by off-duty nurses
A MAN who suffered a heart attack at Stansted Airport was saved by two passing nurses. Ambulance staff have praised the people who helped to save the life of the 51-year-old man from Devon who collapsed before going into cardiac arrest at 9am on Tuesday (
A MAN who suffered a heart attack at Stansted Airport was saved by two passing nurses.
Ambulance staff have praised the people who helped to save the life of the 51-year-old man from Devon who collapsed before going into cardiac arrest at 9am on Tuesday (August 18).
Paramedic Steve Salter and emergency medical technician Maggie Davidson arrived at the main terminal five minutes later.
Mr Salter said: "When it happened, luckily two nurses were passing by and an automatic defibrillator was located close by.
You may also want to watch:
"First aid was also on hand from the fire service and the police, and before our arrival the man benefitted from good CPR and had been shocked four times.
"Although he was still unconscious he was making good progress and had a good cardiac output. We gave oxygen therapy and other treatment, while monitoring the patient. About five to 10 minutes after we arrived he came round and although confused, said he felt fine."
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 3 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 4 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 5 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 6 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 7 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 8 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 9 Stansted teachers offered lockdown yoga
- 10 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
The crew alerted Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow, so that a team could be on stand by. The man is said to be recovering.
Mr Salter said: "Credit is due to the airport staff and passing nurses - the patient was lucky to have such a quick response and good care.