Stansted Airport hotel staff go the distance
HOTEL staff and local supporters joined forces to cross continents without leaving Stansted at a charity event on Sunday. They came together at Hilton London Stansted as part of a national effort to collectively travel a total of 24,901.55 miles, the exa
HOTEL staff and local supporters joined forces to cross continents without leaving Stansted at a charity event on Sunday.
They came together at Hilton London Stansted as part of a national effort to collectively travel a total of 24,901.55 miles, the exact circumference of the earth.
The event, organised by Hilton in the Community Foundation and sponsored by Precor Fitness equipment gave every Hilton hotel in the UK and Ireland the chance to support a local good cause with their funds raised.
At the Hilton Stansted staff chose to support The Newlife Foundation for Disabled Children which provides action and equipment to help disabled and terminally ill children in the UK. The hotel raised over �250 on the day and with sponsorship still to be collected will hope to approach the �1000 mark for the event.
You may also want to watch:
Distance was covered using gym equipment over seven hours in a competitive team challenge and the team at the Stansted hotel managed a phenomenal 267.2 miles - enough miles to reach Paris. Thanks to their efforts and other Hilton hotels around the country a total of over 26,497.54 miles was covered making it just around the globe.
Tom McDermott, Hilton London Stansted General Manager, said: "I was so impressed to see so many people taking the time and effort to help out and we had a lot of fun along the way. I think everyone will have tired legs this week but it was certainly worth it to help such a good local cause! Thank you so much to all the participants and to everyone who supported us.
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 3 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 6 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 7 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 EA Festival debut: New festival quenches region's 'thirst for culture'
- 10 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre