Stansted Airport hotel staff go the distance
HOTEL staff and local supporters joined forces to cross continents without leaving Stansted at a charity event on Sunday. They came together at Hilton London Stansted as part of a national effort to collectively travel a total of 24,901.55 miles, the exa
HOTEL staff and local supporters joined forces to cross continents without leaving Stansted at a charity event on Sunday.
They came together at Hilton London Stansted as part of a national effort to collectively travel a total of 24,901.55 miles, the exact circumference of the earth.
The event, organised by Hilton in the Community Foundation and sponsored by Precor Fitness equipment gave every Hilton hotel in the UK and Ireland the chance to support a local good cause with their funds raised.
At the Hilton Stansted staff chose to support The Newlife Foundation for Disabled Children which provides action and equipment to help disabled and terminally ill children in the UK. The hotel raised over �250 on the day and with sponsorship still to be collected will hope to approach the �1000 mark for the event.
You may also want to watch:
Distance was covered using gym equipment over seven hours in a competitive team challenge and the team at the Stansted hotel managed a phenomenal 267.2 miles - enough miles to reach Paris. Thanks to their efforts and other Hilton hotels around the country a total of over 26,497.54 miles was covered making it just around the globe.
Tom McDermott, Hilton London Stansted General Manager, said: "I was so impressed to see so many people taking the time and effort to help out and we had a lot of fun along the way. I think everyone will have tired legs this week but it was certainly worth it to help such a good local cause! Thank you so much to all the participants and to everyone who supported us.
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
- 9 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
- 10 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting