Stansted Airport officials charge illegal immigrant
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card. The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilia
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card.
The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilian passport hidden in his shoe.
After arriving on a flight from Barcelona on April 4 and arousing suspicion with his fake card the man was searched and a counterfeit driving licence was also discovered.
He was charged with two ID Card Act offences and last Monday (April 27) was given an 18 month custodial sentence.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant Director for the UK Border Agency at Stansted, Barry McGill, said: "Our officers are trained to spot suspicious activity - from those using fake documents to get into the country to those who will not abide by the conditions of their visa.
"Through this conviction, and others like it, we are sending a clear message that we will apprehend those who seek to enter the country illegally and bring them before the courts.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Town council backs new support club
- 4 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 9 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
"Once this man has finished his sentence we will seek to remove him to Brazil. Last year we deported record numbers of foreign prisoners - 5400.
"In 2008 more than 66,000 people were removed or voluntarily departed - one every eight minutes.