Stansted Airport officials charge illegal immigrant
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card. The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilia
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card.
The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilian passport hidden in his shoe.
After arriving on a flight from Barcelona on April 4 and arousing suspicion with his fake card the man was searched and a counterfeit driving licence was also discovered.
He was charged with two ID Card Act offences and last Monday (April 27) was given an 18 month custodial sentence.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant Director for the UK Border Agency at Stansted, Barry McGill, said: "Our officers are trained to spot suspicious activity - from those using fake documents to get into the country to those who will not abide by the conditions of their visa.
"Through this conviction, and others like it, we are sending a clear message that we will apprehend those who seek to enter the country illegally and bring them before the courts.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 5 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 8 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 9 Stop Stansted Expansion campaign group to rebrand
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
"Once this man has finished his sentence we will seek to remove him to Brazil. Last year we deported record numbers of foreign prisoners - 5400.
"In 2008 more than 66,000 people were removed or voluntarily departed - one every eight minutes.