Stansted Airport officials charge illegal immigrant
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card. The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilia
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card.
The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilian passport hidden in his shoe.
After arriving on a flight from Barcelona on April 4 and arousing suspicion with his fake card the man was searched and a counterfeit driving licence was also discovered.
He was charged with two ID Card Act offences and last Monday (April 27) was given an 18 month custodial sentence.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant Director for the UK Border Agency at Stansted, Barry McGill, said: "Our officers are trained to spot suspicious activity - from those using fake documents to get into the country to those who will not abide by the conditions of their visa.
"Through this conviction, and others like it, we are sending a clear message that we will apprehend those who seek to enter the country illegally and bring them before the courts.
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 7 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
"Once this man has finished his sentence we will seek to remove him to Brazil. Last year we deported record numbers of foreign prisoners - 5400.
"In 2008 more than 66,000 people were removed or voluntarily departed - one every eight minutes.