Stansted Airport officials charge illegal immigrant
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card. The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilia
A BRAZILIAN man has been busted by officials at Stansted Airport after trying to enter the country with a fake identity card.
The man presented a forged Portuguese ID card to the immigration officer, but it was later discovered he had his genuine Brazilian passport hidden in his shoe.
After arriving on a flight from Barcelona on April 4 and arousing suspicion with his fake card the man was searched and a counterfeit driving licence was also discovered.
He was charged with two ID Card Act offences and last Monday (April 27) was given an 18 month custodial sentence.
Assistant Director for the UK Border Agency at Stansted, Barry McGill, said: "Our officers are trained to spot suspicious activity - from those using fake documents to get into the country to those who will not abide by the conditions of their visa.
"Through this conviction, and others like it, we are sending a clear message that we will apprehend those who seek to enter the country illegally and bring them before the courts.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 3 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Miss Disco's Valentine's date with fans at Saffron Walden's football club
- 6 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 7 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 8 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 9 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
- 10 Celebrating 20th anniversary of Harry Potter at Saffron Screen
"Once this man has finished his sentence we will seek to remove him to Brazil. Last year we deported record numbers of foreign prisoners - 5400.
"In 2008 more than 66,000 people were removed or voluntarily departed - one every eight minutes.