Stansted Airport staff raise £14k for life-saving helicopters
- Credit: Archant
Staff at Stansted Airport have helped raise £14,426 for the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance after a year-long fundraising drive.
The charity was the focus of the airport’s fundraising efforts after being chosen as its charity partner for the 2013/14 financial year.
The last 12 months has seen staff volunteer at a number of events to raise funds and awareness for the charity that provides a free life-saving Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) for Essex and Hertfordshire.
Highlights included a team of airport pedal-pushers taking part in a sponsored Air Ambulance cycle ride last May and in June a band of jet-heeled runners took off to run along the airport’s runway for a unique fundraising event.
Andrew Harrison, Stansted Airport’s managing director, said: “The airport was delighted to back the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance Trust as our charity partner over the past year, and by supporting them we have played our part in saving lives of people from across our region.
You may also want to watch:
“The year of fundraising was a fantastic opportunity for all of us at Stansted to make a real difference and showcase the dedication, support and commitment of the airport and its staff.”
To round off a fabulous year of fundraising, Andrew Harrison presented Sabi Blyth from the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance with a cheque for £3,500. The amount raised was from the proceeds of a raffle held at the airport’s anniversary dinner to mark the first year of ownership by M.A.G in February.
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 7 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 8 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 9 Strong start for Saffron Walden as competitive rugby returns with a bang.
- 10 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
Sabi Blyth, Essex fundraising coordinator, said: “We are absolutely delighted to receive a final cheque for £3,500 from Stansted Airport, bringing the total up to £14,426.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the employees of Stansted for their support and generosity over the past year in organising some great events to raise vital funds for the life-saving helicopters.”