Stansted Airport voted the ‘world’s best’
STANSTED Airport has been named ‘world’s best low-cost airport’ at the 2011 World Airports Awards in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The UK’s third busiest airport scooped the best in category prize in the annual Skytrax airport customer survey, based on the feedback of 11.38 million passengers, across 100 different nationalities and covering 240 airports worldwide.
Welcoming the award, Stansted’s Managing Director Nick Barton said: “I’m absolutely delighted Stansted has been named as the best low-cost airport in the world, especially as the award is decided by those who matter the most - the passenger.
“Stansted is firmly established as a world leader at serving the low-cost airline sector that has transformed air travel.
“We have a route network that stretches to around 150 destinations with Stansted now offering more direct scheduled European flights than any other airport in the world.
You may also want to watch:
“We are extremely proud Stansted is home to airlines such as Ryanair, easyJet, germanwings and airberlin, plus AirAsia X, one of the new breed of long-haul, low-cost airlines.
“These are some of the most profitable and innovative airlines in the world, operating modern and efficient aircraft fleets, and who continue to grow and open new markets. “It’s thanks to the help and support of our excellent airline partners that we have gained this global honour and recognition.
- 1 Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
- 2 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 3 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 4 Essex county council deputy says he will stand for top job
- 5 Greens and Lib Dems disassociate themselves from investment decision
- 6 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
- 7 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 8 Saffron Striders celebrate achievements in challenging season
- 9 Stroke at 27 - now teacher is giving something back
- 10 Council responds to unflattering comments
“The airport has just celebrated the 20th anniversary of HM The Queen opening our iconic terminal building in 1991.
“This award is a fitting tribute to the world class airport infrastructure developed by Lord Foster that has been brilliantly complimented by the modern efficiencies and technological improvements achieved by the low-cost airline sector.”
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org