Stansted auctioneer leads pioneering sale of European art in China
- Credit: Archant
STANSTED auctioneers have played a pivotal role in the first ever sale of European Art in China this April.
The items of art, antiques and collectibles worth up to an estimated total of £8m, from a consortium of UK auctioneers, have been shipped to Xiamen Free Port in Fujian Province.
The ground-breaking sale has been organised by the Association of Accredited Auctioneers, known as ‘AAA’, of which Sworders Fine Art Auctioneers is a founder member. The auctioneer, based in Stansted Mountifitchet, has had a key part in the organisation and underwriting of the sale, due to take place on April 21.
AAA brings together 21 regional auctioneers from across the country and aims to provide an easy channel for Chinese buyers to access the UK Auction market. Its purpose is to reduce the historic challenges of language, shipping, and foreign currency payments.
Sworders’ managing director, Guy Schooling, said: “This is an unrivalled opportunity to introduce Western art and antiques to Chinese collectors. We know there is already an appetite for French and gilt pieces in the Far East, and we’re hoping to entice buyers to widen the variety of art they are prepared to purchase.
“Chinese buyers already make up an enormous part of the market with a lot of money to spend on Asian and now increasingly western antiques - and we want to tap into that further.”
The sale is being staged in conjunction with a Chinese auctioneer, Huachen Auctions Co Ltd, and will be promoted by the only online bidding portal in China. A viewing of the auction’s highlights will be held in Beijing at the British Ambassador’s residence on April 12.
- 1 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 2 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 3 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 4 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 5 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 8 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 9 Former teaching assistant is jailed
- 10 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
Sworders is already a major name in the sale of fine art and antiques from the East and holds two Asian Art specialist sales every year. The next sale is at Stansted Mountfitchet on Tuesday April 23.