Stansted auctioneer leads pioneering sale of European art in China
- Credit: Archant
STANSTED auctioneers have played a pivotal role in the first ever sale of European Art in China this April.
The items of art, antiques and collectibles worth up to an estimated total of £8m, from a consortium of UK auctioneers, have been shipped to Xiamen Free Port in Fujian Province.
The ground-breaking sale has been organised by the Association of Accredited Auctioneers, known as ‘AAA’, of which Sworders Fine Art Auctioneers is a founder member. The auctioneer, based in Stansted Mountifitchet, has had a key part in the organisation and underwriting of the sale, due to take place on April 21.
AAA brings together 21 regional auctioneers from across the country and aims to provide an easy channel for Chinese buyers to access the UK Auction market. Its purpose is to reduce the historic challenges of language, shipping, and foreign currency payments.
Sworders’ managing director, Guy Schooling, said: “This is an unrivalled opportunity to introduce Western art and antiques to Chinese collectors. We know there is already an appetite for French and gilt pieces in the Far East, and we’re hoping to entice buyers to widen the variety of art they are prepared to purchase.
You may also want to watch:
“Chinese buyers already make up an enormous part of the market with a lot of money to spend on Asian and now increasingly western antiques - and we want to tap into that further.”
The sale is being staged in conjunction with a Chinese auctioneer, Huachen Auctions Co Ltd, and will be promoted by the only online bidding portal in China. A viewing of the auction’s highlights will be held in Beijing at the British Ambassador’s residence on April 12.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 10 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
Sworders is already a major name in the sale of fine art and antiques from the East and holds two Asian Art specialist sales every year. The next sale is at Stansted Mountfitchet on Tuesday April 23.