Stansted: Business leaders ‘disappointed’ at Airports Commission report
Businesses leaders in Essex and Cambridgeshire say they are “disappointed” that an extra runway at Stansted Airport has been discounted until at least 2030.
Essex Chambers of Commerce’s director of policy David Burch said an increase in capacity would help the region’s export industry and hoped the Airports Commission might have included it on its proposals for the south east’s future aviation needs.
“Our business organisations are disappointed that, at this juncture, Stansted has not been further considered,” he said.
“If we are serious about growing exports and boosting the Essex economy we really need to have the ability to have flights from airports nearer to home.”
John Bridge, chief executive of Cambridgeshire Chambers of Commerce, said the Airports Commission “is missing a real opportunity”.
He added: “The economy in the east of England is leading the recovery and crucial to that continued growth, particularly in Cambridgeshire, is the need to ensure international connectivity.
“Dismissing proposals to expand Stansted now and writing them off as an option for potential consideration in the future shows that the commission, and the government, don’t truly understand the need to invest in success by creating the right infrastructure.
- 1 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 4 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 5 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 7 Set times for The Bootleg Beatles and From The Jam's Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 9 Electric bus at Stansted Airport to help reach Net Zero
- 10 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
“Will any government ever deliver the very necessary and needed additional runways?”