‘Stansted in 30’ campaign gets shadow transport secretary’s backing
THE campaign to cut journey times and improve reliability on the Stansted Express rail service has received support from the shadow transport secretary.
MP Maria Eagle praised the recently launched ‘Stansted in 30’ campaign during a behind-the-scenes tour of the Uttlesford transport hub – and urged Government ministers to listen carefully to the case being made.
The goal is to slash the journey time between Stansted and London from the current 45 minutes to just 30.
“Our airports are vital for our economic competitiveness, but to be attractive to passengers and business they need good transport links,” Ms Eagle said.
“For too long we have failed to adequately join up the different elements of our transport policy, not least aviation and rail.
“Yet, just as many passengers experience every day, my visit to Stansted began with a 45 minute journey to cover just 35 miles from central London.
“We have got to see if it is possible to do better than that in the twenty-first century, not least if we are serious about encouraging people to see the benefits of switching from road to rail.”
- 1 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 2 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 3 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 4 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 5 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 6 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 7 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 10 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
The ‘Stansted in 30’ campaign, launched last week, urges the Government and rail industry to include improvements to the West Anglia mainline in the next round of funding.
Speaking after Ms Eagle’s visit, Stansted Airport’s managing director Nick Barton said: “I’m delighted she clearly recognises the need for reduced journey times on the rail line serving Stansted and has welcomed our campaign, which will also improve reliability on services to and from the capital.”