Stansted man convicted of raping 22-year-old woman told jail is ‘inevitable’

A 25-year-old Stansted man has been convicted of rape

A 25-year-old Stansted man has been convicted of rape - Credit: Archant

A Stansted man has been told by a judge that prison is “inevitable” after he was convicted of raping a 22-year-old woman.

Cornelis Coetzee, 25, of Forest Hall Road, pleaded not guilty to the rape, which took place on December 29 in Stansted, but the jury returned a guilty verdict by a majority of 11-1 after four hours’ deliberation.

South African-born Coetzee, who runs his own marketing, public relations, and sales training company, claimed the young woman had consented to sex when they arranged to meet.

But the victim alleged that she had already ended their brief relationship because it was based “just on sex”, and Chelmsford Crown Court heard how they had never gone out on a date.

The judge, Recorder Gerard Pounder adjourned sentence until the week of April 25, and released Coetzee on bail, but warned him that custody was “inevitable”.

He imposed an electronically tagged curfew on Coetzee between 10pm and 7am, ordered him to surrender his passport and to live at home.

The prosecution said Coetzee and the woman had known each other vaguely from their past in Cambridge and renewed contact over Facebook from November 2013.

Most Read

They had had sex three times in two weeks in early December 2014 before the woman ended their relationship.

On December 29 2014, the two met up at about 11pm as arranged by phone. The young woman said it was just for a chat as friends but Coetzee claimed that his understanding was that “the whole point was to make out”.

It was alleged that the woman clearly told Coetzee “No” four times when he suggested sex but he removed her clothing and raped her.

She left a distressed message on a friend’s phone during the night and reported the incident to police next day.

Giving evidence in his defence, Coetzee said the pair chatted, he “tested the water” by kissing, they had affectionate sex and cuddled afterwards.

He accepted the woman said no to oral sex but he claimed she said she wanted to have intercourse.

He denied she spent ten minutes in the bathroom afterwards crying.

“I wanted to have a relationship with her. I thought she was a special girl,” he told jurors.