Stansted owner M.A.G responds to Airports Commission interim report
Stansted has a “critical role” to play in supporting the country’s economic growth, with the owners determined to bring forward proposals for a second runway “at the right time”.
That was the reaction from Stansted owners M.A.G following proposals announced today which could see a new runway at either Gatwick and Heathrow, but not the Essex hub.
The independent Airports Commission review concludes there is a need for one additional runway to be in operation in the south-east of the UK by 2030. The commission’s analysis also indicates that there is likely to be a demand for a second additional runway to be operational by 2050.
M.A.G chief executive, Charlie Cornish, said: “Stansted welcomes the commission’s support for measures to increase capacity at the airport in the short term, including improving rail links between the airport and central London. We also support the commission’s finding that Stansted is one of the viable options for a runway beyond 2030.”
He added: “Stansted has a bright future, indeed we are the only London airport that can grow substantially in the next 10 years. Since we took ownership in February this year we have already signed up new airlines and destinations to meet growing passenger demand.
You may also want to watch:
“Our immediate priority is to continue to transform the airport experience for our passengers.
“As London continues to grow to the east and high-tech industries along the London to Cambridge corridor grow Britain’s economy, Stansted has a critical role to play in supporting the country’s economic growth. At the right time we will bring forward proposals for a second runway at the airport to support this growth.”
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal