Stansted owner M.A.G responds to Airports Commission interim report
Stansted has a “critical role” to play in supporting the country’s economic growth, with the owners determined to bring forward proposals for a second runway “at the right time”.
That was the reaction from Stansted owners M.A.G following proposals announced today which could see a new runway at either Gatwick and Heathrow, but not the Essex hub.
The independent Airports Commission review concludes there is a need for one additional runway to be in operation in the south-east of the UK by 2030. The commission’s analysis also indicates that there is likely to be a demand for a second additional runway to be operational by 2050.
M.A.G chief executive, Charlie Cornish, said: “Stansted welcomes the commission’s support for measures to increase capacity at the airport in the short term, including improving rail links between the airport and central London. We also support the commission’s finding that Stansted is one of the viable options for a runway beyond 2030.”
He added: “Stansted has a bright future, indeed we are the only London airport that can grow substantially in the next 10 years. Since we took ownership in February this year we have already signed up new airlines and destinations to meet growing passenger demand.
You may also want to watch:
“Our immediate priority is to continue to transform the airport experience for our passengers.
“As London continues to grow to the east and high-tech industries along the London to Cambridge corridor grow Britain’s economy, Stansted has a critical role to play in supporting the country’s economic growth. At the right time we will bring forward proposals for a second runway at the airport to support this growth.”
- 1 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Peter Holt is appointed as the new district council chief executive
- 4 Your pictures as Essex goes 'Back to School'
- 5 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 6 Reflections: A World War One soldier who was killed in battle
- 7 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 8 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 9 Follow the Yellow Brick Road to Saffron Hall this Christmas for magical The Wizard of Oz pantomime
- 10 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days