Stansted students find space to train on NASA-led education programme
- Credit: Archant
To infinity, and beyond... students at an Uttlesford school hosted an international educational challenge run by NASA.
‘Mission X: Train like an Astronaut’, which is also run by the European Space Agency and The UK Space Agency, took place at Forest Hall School, Stansted Mountfitchet. The programme allows students to take part in a variety of specially designed science and physical education activities to promote a healthy lifestyle.
The annual event was even bigger for 2014, with six primary schools taking part in the activities, as well as Forest Hall’s Year 7.
A Forest Hall School spokesman said: “We have enjoyed taking part in Mission X for a number of years having originally piloted the programme and becoming the lead school in the UK. There are 7,000 pupils taking part around the UK, as well as 23 countries worldwide.
“Students have the opportunity to blog and link up via video chat with other countries about their activities during Mission X.”
‘Missions’ for this year for science included ‘Sleeping in Space’ and ‘Working in Space’. Both have shown pupils what it is like to live and work in space and the many challenges that astronauts face, such as working in zero gravity and the effects that it has on the body. Missions in PE looked at endurance and fitness levels of astronauts in both their preparation to enter space and how they keep fit.
Teamwork skills were also a part of the day. One challenge involved being blind-folded, stood on a skateboard and being guided to put screws in to a piece of wood whilst wearing thick gloves.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 3 Decision yet to be made on Saffron Walden's 20mph limit
- 4 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 5 Saffron Walden photographer's book a permanent record of life in a locked down town
- 6 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 7 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache
- 8 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Large Visitor Attraction of the Year finalists
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run