Stop Stansted Expansion get set for runway ramble
HISTORY lovers and those who appreciate architectural heritage are preparing for a very special outing on Sunday (September 20). From 2pm the Stop Stansted Expansion group (SSE) will be holding its annual runway ramble, this year in the form of a free Her
HISTORY lovers and those who appreciate architectural heritage are preparing for a very special outing on Sunday (September 20).
From 2pm the Stop Stansted Expansion group (SSE) will be holding its annual runway ramble, this year in the form of a free Heritage Hike.
Organised by the SSE's Stuart Walker in association with Douglas Kent of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB), the four-mile circular walk has been devised to highlight the threat to no fewer than 40 historic buildings that would be demolished or have their settings severely compromised if Stansted Airport owners BAA build a second runway.
Hikers will start out at Molehill Green, where a sizzling barbeque will be held. Route maps and descriptions will also be available for walkers in the form of a souvenir programme.
An SSE spokesman said: "The idea is to show people just what would be sacrificed if BAA's plans for a second runway were allowed, enabling Stansted to become bigger than Heathrow today in terms of flight numbers, land grab and passengers."
More information on the Heritage Hike is available from the SSE website at www.stopstanstedexpansion.com or by calling 01279 870558.
- 1 District Council leader John Lodge to step down next week
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 6 Community helps with tree planting at Lime Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 7 MP Kemi Badenoch launches 'Buy One More Toy Appeal' for Christmas support
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 10 Walden has late night shopping and musicians