Stop Stansted Expansion get set for runway ramble
HISTORY lovers and those who appreciate architectural heritage are preparing for a very special outing on Sunday (September 20). From 2pm the Stop Stansted Expansion group (SSE) will be holding its annual runway ramble, this year in the form of a free Her
HISTORY lovers and those who appreciate architectural heritage are preparing for a very special outing on Sunday (September 20).
From 2pm the Stop Stansted Expansion group (SSE) will be holding its annual runway ramble, this year in the form of a free Heritage Hike.
Organised by the SSE's Stuart Walker in association with Douglas Kent of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB), the four-mile circular walk has been devised to highlight the threat to no fewer than 40 historic buildings that would be demolished or have their settings severely compromised if Stansted Airport owners BAA build a second runway.
Hikers will start out at Molehill Green, where a sizzling barbeque will be held. Route maps and descriptions will also be available for walkers in the form of a souvenir programme.
You may also want to watch:
An SSE spokesman said: "The idea is to show people just what would be sacrificed if BAA's plans for a second runway were allowed, enabling Stansted to become bigger than Heathrow today in terms of flight numbers, land grab and passengers."
More information on the Heritage Hike is available from the SSE website at www.stopstanstedexpansion.com or by calling 01279 870558.
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Saffron Striders doing their bit for charity as racing returns
- 10 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site