Stop Stansted Expansion seeking new home for book cellection
STOP Stansted Expansion is urgently seeking a new home for its collection of 8,000 books which are regularly offered for sale and replenished to raise funds for the campaign.
The need has arisen following the closure of the Old School House in Takeley for health and safety reasons and SSE’s recent move to Molehill Green.
Campaign director Carol Barbone said: “While the campaign office’s new home at the village hall is a perfect base for day-to-day activities, it simply isn’t suitable for housing the books or for holding quarterly sales open to the public.
“As a result, a new base is need by Christmas for book display and storage on free-standing shelves which the campaign has gathered over the years as a result of the efforts of the stalwarts who have managed this important fundraising initiative for SSE.
“The current facilities consist of a hall approximately 10m by 6m and comparable space would be ideal, but all possible solutions will be gratefully considered.”
She added: “Our book sales at Takeley as well as at external events such as the Countess of Warwick Show have raised thousands of pounds for the continued fight against the threat of airport expansion.
“We’re continually being approached by those wishing to donate yet more books to keep the fundraising project going but until we can be sure the book sales have a home beyond the New Year, we’re reluctant to accept any more.”
- 1 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 2 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 'No barbecues' urge firefighters amid dry weather in north-west Essex
- 5 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 6 Driving ban and unpaid work for Stansted man who punched police officers
- 7 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 8 Walden Bikers break fundraising record at eighth birthday gathering
- 9 Set times for The Bootleg Beatles and From The Jam's Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 10 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
The deadline for finding a new home for the books is Christmas Eve and anyone who might be able to offer a useful suggestion as to a possible solution is invited to contact SSE on 01279 870558 or by e-mail on email@example.com