Strong support from organisations for community-based hub at One Minet Skatepark in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
AMBITIOUS plans to transform Saffron Walden’s skatepark into a ‘one-stop shop’ for the whole community has been given the backing of the town’s arts trust.
Saffron Walden Skate Park Group has expressed delight with the response from a wide range of voluntary and third sector organisations since unveiling its proposals for the One Minet Skate Park last month.
Now Saffron Walden Arts Trust has added its backing for the plans for ‘the Hub’ - a large flexible indoor space that could be used to provide a wide variety of support and advisory services, a focal point for the arts as well as skating and BMXing facilities.
Beverly Young, chairman of the Skate Group, said: “We had already been in discussion with organisations such as the NHS and Citizens Advice Bureau and they are keen to use the Hub as a one-stop-shop where the community and, in particular young people, can access their services and get advice and support.
“We have also been talking to the prestigious Saffron Walden Arts Trust to research the need for exhibition space. We aim to collaborate with them and share exciting ideas for performance of all kinds, including art, photography, film, music and new inter-active media.”
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of the Saffron Walden Arts Trust, Miranda Pender, who attended the Skate Group’s AGM earlier this month, added: “We are looking forward to forming a strategic alliance with the Skate Group as having such a flexible, multi-purpose space to show case the diverse, artistic talent that exists in this town would be a real opportunity for the Saffron Walden Arts Trust.”
Artist’s illustrations complete with outlining details about the proposed multi-purpose access point went live on the Saffron Walden Skate Group website in November.
- 1 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 2 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 3 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 4 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 5 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 6 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 7 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 8 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 9 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
The group say the hub on Peaslands Road will be a facility for all, with a café and workshops units, as well as space for information support and advisory services, film and music-making and a focal point for the arts.