Sweet music for sugar beet event
ENTHUSIASTIC people from Thaxted threw some exciting shapes on the dance floor at the eighth annual Sugar Beet weekend. The Thaxted Country Dance Club celebrated a successful sugar beet harvest with live musical performances and a dance workshop. Club mem
ENTHUSIASTIC people from Thaxted threw some exciting shapes on the dance floor at the eighth annual Sugar Beet weekend.
The Thaxted Country Dance Club celebrated a successful sugar beet harvest with live musical performances and a dance workshop.
Club member Sue Collins said: "Our aim during the weekend was to have the chance to dance to a well-known country dance band, to learn some new dance skills and to sit back and listen to folk musicians."
The event began with a dance on Friday night to the music of the The Rakes and was "thoroughly enjoyed by all," said Mrs Collins.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday a dance workshop was held in Bolford Street Hall, Thaxted, and the members learnt a selection of new dances.
"We were delighted to welcome back Kerry Fletcher and her very talented musicians, Ravi Sawney and Daniel Wolverson. She took us through a splendid variety of dances from the Basque Carnival de Lanz, to the Swedish schottische, via the French Bourree and Italian Polka," she said.
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 3 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 4 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 New outreach Post Office for community
- 7 New interim chief executive for district council
- 8 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
- 9 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 10 Linton pupils join 362,000-strong school choir
In the evening a concert was performed by Harriet Bartlett on the piano accordion and Brian Peters on the on the melodeon, English concertina and guitar.
Despite global warming pushing the sugar beet harvest earlier each year, plans are already under way for next year's event, which will run from February 13 to 15.