Swimmers in Uttlesford urged to make a splash at Swimathon 2013
- Credit: Archant
SWIMMERS across Uttlesford are invited to make a splash by taking part in Swimathon 2013 to raise cash for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
The world’s biggest fundraising swim will be held at Great Dunmow Leisure Centre, the Lord Butler Leisure Centre in Saffron Walden, and at more than 600 pools across the country from April 26-28 with thousands of people challenging themselves through 5k, 2.5k and 1.5k individual or team events.
One person who will be taking part is Dunmow resident Laura Taylor.
The 29-year-old, of Haslers Lane, will be doing the 5k challenge at Great Dunmow on April 27 – and she wants to raise as much money as possible for the cause.
“I chose the 5k distance because I wanted to really set myself a personal challenge but as hard as that is going to be, 200 lengths is nowhere near as hard as dealing with cancer. Marie Curie is a brilliant charity and that is why I want to raise as much as I can to do my part to help out,” Laura told the Broadcast.
To help her through the challenge, Laura, a sales administrator with Elsenham-based Hytek Fuel & Lubrication Equipment, will be swimming to music on a waterproof ipod... and she is looking for song suggestions for her playlist.
“I am asking people for ideas to suggest songs while I’m doing the swim, just to keep me motivated and keep them old legs kicking. I have a set amount of time to do the 200 lengths in, so I have to keep moving!”
- 1 How Malcolm's work is having an impact in Uttlesford
- 2 Fears that Covid may cause Essex hospital staffing to get ‘very difficult’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 Vandals thought to have targeted around 30 vehicles in 'keying' spree
- 5 Teen arrested after alleged disturbance inside Saffron Walden Costcutter
- 6 School pictures: Maths workshops for parents and a museum visit
- 7 Delighted Walden photography winner unveils her new business
- 8 Cliff Parisi on Call the Midwife's 10th Christmas special
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
Anyone who wants to suggest a song for Laura can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or they can leave a message on her sponsor page at swimathon.org
Marie Curie Cancer Care gives people with all terminal illnesses the choice to die at home. Funds raised by taking on Swimathon 2013 will help Marie Curie nurses provide hands-on care and emotional support in the patient’s own home.
Swimmer entry is open at swimathon.org until April 24.
• ARE you taking part in Swimathon 2013? Let us know about it. E-mail email@example.com