Swimmers in Uttlesford urged to make a splash at Swimathon 2013
- Credit: Archant
SWIMMERS across Uttlesford are invited to make a splash by taking part in Swimathon 2013 to raise cash for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
The world’s biggest fundraising swim will be held at Great Dunmow Leisure Centre, the Lord Butler Leisure Centre in Saffron Walden, and at more than 600 pools across the country from April 26-28 with thousands of people challenging themselves through 5k, 2.5k and 1.5k individual or team events.
One person who will be taking part is Dunmow resident Laura Taylor.
The 29-year-old, of Haslers Lane, will be doing the 5k challenge at Great Dunmow on April 27 – and she wants to raise as much money as possible for the cause.
“I chose the 5k distance because I wanted to really set myself a personal challenge but as hard as that is going to be, 200 lengths is nowhere near as hard as dealing with cancer. Marie Curie is a brilliant charity and that is why I want to raise as much as I can to do my part to help out,” Laura told the Broadcast.
To help her through the challenge, Laura, a sales administrator with Elsenham-based Hytek Fuel & Lubrication Equipment, will be swimming to music on a waterproof ipod... and she is looking for song suggestions for her playlist.
“I am asking people for ideas to suggest songs while I’m doing the swim, just to keep me motivated and keep them old legs kicking. I have a set amount of time to do the 200 lengths in, so I have to keep moving!”
- 1 Essex A-level results 2022: Students celebrate grades
- 2 Essex fire crews tackle around 70 incidents in three-hour window after rain
- 3 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 4 Newport man vows to protect river after round the world sailing trip
- 5 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 6 IN PICTURES: Sir Tom Jones' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 7 MP welcomes increase in police officers across Essex
- 8 Sully, 12, cuts hair for charity after Greggs-inspired outfit goes viral
- 9 Mischief Theatre's The Play That Goes Wrong will have you crying with laughter
- 10 Dance in the Square heading to Saffron Walden
Anyone who wants to suggest a song for Laura can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or they can leave a message on her sponsor page at swimathon.org
Marie Curie Cancer Care gives people with all terminal illnesses the choice to die at home. Funds raised by taking on Swimathon 2013 will help Marie Curie nurses provide hands-on care and emotional support in the patient’s own home.
Swimmer entry is open at swimathon.org until April 24.
• ARE you taking part in Swimathon 2013? Let us know about it. E-mail email@example.com