Swinging sensation Joanna Eden to appear at Saffron Walden Town Hall with jazz movie Christmas classics
- Credit: Archant
Have yourself a very swinging Christmas by feasting on an array of jazz movie classics this festive season, performed by the town’s favourite jazz singer Joanna Eden.
The singing sensation returns to Saffron Walden Town Hall to perform with the Christ Ingham Quartet for the Christmas gig, which has sold out at Ronnie Scott’s for the third year running.
This concert will be the fourth the singer has performed in aid of Mayor Sandra Eden’s chosen charity St Johns Ambulance, for which she has raised thousands of pounds already.
“It’s all very, very Christmassy – we’ll be playing Happy Holidays and White Christmas, and we do a jazz version of Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas – in the style of Nina Simone,” said the singer and music teacher.
The Gold Street resident, who counts world-famous pop singer Sam Smith as one of her former pupils, is happy to take centre stage for this performance.
You may also want to watch:
“Normally I play the piano, but Chris Ingham, who is a brilliant pianist, is playing, so I get to stand at the front and do the diva thing, get my Shirley Bassey act on,” she said.
“The musicians are all at the top end of the game,” she said, referring to the Quartet, which includes saxophonist and clarinettist Alan Barnes in its number.
- 1 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 2 Tools collection is a huge success
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 6 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 7 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 8 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
The concert follows the success of Swinging Sounds at the Silver Screen, held at the Town Hall in September, where the singer also performed with the internationally acclaimed quartet.
“I’ve been in Saffron Walden for 12 years, and it feels like home,” said the singer. “I’ve got two or three choirs, lots of private students here. I can’t go out my front door without bumping into someone I know, which I love - unless I’m having a bad hair day!”
Jazz at the Movies: A Swinging Christmas! takes place at 8pm next Saturday, December 13 at the Town Hall. Tickets cost between £7.50 - £12.50 and are available at saffrontickets.com.